Tuesday 8 May 2012

Dermatologist

I just realised I hadn't posted about much practical stuff lately, and part of what I missed out was my visit to the Dermatologist.
In the bumph I was given by the hospital before I began Tysabri, it said you would be automatically referred. The neuro then said this was no longer the case, but because I had a couple of moles on my back which had been slightly changing anyway, he'd refer me just to be on the safe side.
I had the appointment with the Dermatologist last week, and it was fine. Apart from the fact he was a moody bugger, which seems to be a common thing amongst Dermatologists from what I hear!
He asked if I'd had much exposure to the sun over the years, I joked 'No, that's probably why I have MS' He asked me to repeat myself, which I did (but the moment was lost by then) and he just looked and me, said 'hm', and scribbled down some notes - they probably said 'the patient has a bad sense of humour'
Any how, he didn't seem concerned about them at all, and said the one they did have a photo of from six years ago hadn't changed at all.
The took new photos so they have them to compare it to if anything changes, and that was that.
I was glad to have gone because it is reassuring to know they have these photos should they start changing, and I can now have a clean slate so to speak, with the Tysabri.
If anyone is starting Tysabri and has any moles you're worried about, I'd definitely recommend getting them checked out. According to the Dermatologist the link between a higher risk of skin cancer and Tysabri is unproven, it could easily be a statistical coincidence, but whilst it is still unknown it is better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. A dermatologist is also routinely recommended for the proper diagnosis and treatment of skin cancers, melanomas, moles and skin tumors.

    Doctor search

    ReplyDelete
  2. started with because the body gets used to the artificial cortisol and doesn't produce as much naturally, becoming addicted to the steroids. Dermatologia

    ReplyDelete