Tuesday 8 May 2012

Wasted Energy

Today, I needed to be up for 9.30. This might not seem like a big deal for a lot of people (although here I am sure many will understand) but for me this is huge. 
I'm only just coming out of my fatigued haze that was here a couple weeks ago, and although it's a lot better it is by no means absent. 
The planning for such an 'early' morning doesn't just start that day. Sunday I tried to go to bed early so that I didn't sleep too late Monday, so I could get to sleep earlier Monday to be up for 9.30 Tuesday. 
I woke up and felt like crap, I'd only had 7hours sleep *shock horror*. A big clue to me that I need more sleep when the alarm goes off is how long the double vision stays around for. Most mornings it is there when I first open my eyes but goes away very quickly (a few seconds) but if it stays around for more than that, I know my day is pretty much doomed. In a lot of situations, that can be quite useful, as it is a really good indicator of how the day will pan out. However it isn't so good when I have to just ignore it and get out of bed anyway. 
That is what I did this morning, got up, dragged my electric bike out the hall, and cycled to the doctors.

As I was cycling to the doctors, certain facts started to dawn on me. I always have appointments set in my phone with a 24hours reminder.....why didn't I get woken up to that yesterday morning? I then started to try and work out what date it was, (being unemployed, these facts often escape me) I remembered someone saying yesterday it was the 7th. That meant today was the 8th and I would've remembered having an appointment made on that day as it's a date that always stands out to me as it was my great grandma's birthday. Then it dawned on me...just as I arrived at the doctors, the appointment is on the 9th. The 9th is tomorrow. I checked my phone, and lo and behold there is the 24hour reminder flashing up.
On getting home, I was so tired, I decided to have a nap for another hour, but ended up ignoring the alarm (only half consciously) and sleeping until 3pm. Now I am very annoyed that I've ended up getting up even later than usual, this could be a problem when it comes to getting to sleep early tonight. And I still feel like crap. If I get out of bed when the double vision is like that, no matter what I do, I feel crap for the whole day.I'm not just tired, the headache is back, and my arms ache and don't work properly. 

Pre MS, this is something that would've been annoying at the time, but I would've quickly got over it and gone about my day. With MS, anything that wastes energy is super annoying, because the ramifications of doing some things is huge, so to do something that has given me a big fall out, only to realise it wasn't necessary, is beyond annoying it is down right exasperating.

Now, to do it all again tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment