Sunday 5 February 2012

A Day In The Snow

As expected and along with most of the country, woke up this morning to a rather deep covering of snow. It looked like good snow, the kind of snow you can really build things with. It also looked pretty slushy and unfrozen on the pavements. I figured I would attempt to take a walk in it as I don't think I've really walked a lot in snow since having M.S. I didn't expect to make it very far at all, it would be more effort I thought, that normal walking and so expected to not make it as far as I did the other day during the Bus Shenanigans. I was quite surprised though, it was relatively easy to walk on, in fact it didn't really feel much different to how I normally walk. Or rather, how I normally feel like it'd be best for me to walk, but don't because I'd look a bit odd. Arms out to the side, a slight swagger, very slowly. Today, everyone was walking that way! So I actually made it further than expected, which was very good and very satisfying. Had a bit of a snowball fight with the boyfriend, in which he did have an rather unfair advantage in that I can't run away and also throw like a classic girl. I still got a couple good hits in though and he ended up with more snow down his neck than I did, I class that as a win. 
As we were nearly home, I got a real urge to lay down in the snow. This could be to do with the fact I'd had enough of walking by then and my legs were struggling, or because I was getting too hot under all my layers. However I think it is more to do with just a childlike urge to lay down in the expanse of virgin snow, and the thought that kept running round my head as I was walking that I didn't know if I'd get to do that again. Snow this deep is pretty rare in England anyway, so who knows what state this body will be in by the time it happens again. I kept trying to keep that thought at bay as it was rather depressing, but also tried to use it to make the very most of our walk. 

2 comments:

  1. I love to lay in the snow! And make snow angels. Maybe it's a Canadian thing! I have heat intolerance (since MS), so snow is always a welcome thing for me, I used to be a freezy butt.
    Always make the most of each moment you have, enjoy what you can right now, and try not to worry too much about the future.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, that is a very good outlook to have, one that I try to keep up - not always easy, especially the not worrying about the future, but I am hoping the mindfulness will help with that :-)

    ReplyDelete